Monday, November 23, 2009

23 Novemeber 2009

Today, my teacher gave me an email response to my earlier question about a search box. Here it is:
Three ways of doing this:

1. The data of the pages is indexed in some sort of database. The database is searched and returns the link for that page.
2. A database generates all pages for the site. This means the info is already in a database and makes it searchable.
3. If the site has a REAL URL meaning www.somedomain.com you can use google custom search to create a site search that will confine the search to that particular domain. This will NOT work on a domain with just an IP address or something that cannot be connected to outside of the firewall.
http://www.google.com/cse/

I think I'm going to use the third option. However, I have to wait until I know mt URL to do so.