Tuesday, January 5, 2010

5 December 2010



Referring to Jane's survey, I began to make the revisions.
One of the major issue was that none of the tests worked; when one tried to open the collapsible panels, all one would get was a broken image icon.
At first, I had no idea what could have caused this. When designing the site in dreamweaver, I would use then "preview in browser" tool to see if everything was functional. At that point, everything seemed fine. I tried to search down a reason for this. The only real differences between the previewed, unpublished site and the actual site was the organization of their containing folders. When I published the site, all of the files were dumped into a single folder.
Previously, the tests and images had been subdivided, within the main folder, and categorized by meet. Many of the tests had the same file name- for example, I had tests simply called "2006." This was not a problem when they were separated, but became an issue when they were in the same folder, overwriting each other.
So, I went through my files, renaming all of the practice tests. I had to change both the file name and the relative path in the website. To make sure there were no repeats, I followed a simple pattern. I would turn, for example, a test from Meet 7, event 3, 2005-06, previously titled 2005-06.html to m7e32005-06.html