Thursday, January 21, 2010

21 January 2010

Today, I began my write-up of Criterion J; this includes a summary of the revisions suggested, revisions made, and why my beta-tester was qualified. Here is a copy of what I will turn in tomorrow:

Criterion J

Beta Tester: Jane Krot

Jane is a qualified beta tester because she is a mathlete, having been on the team for three years. She knows the general process of testing and studying, and is aware of the current difficulties with finding information. By having her test my project, I will have an idea of how an average mathlete would view and navigate through the site. She would know if the layout was confusing, or if a formula was incorrect.

Refinements suggested:

-Several of the links were broken, or only worked on some of the pages

-Practice test pictures posed an issue. For nearly every test page, where there should have been three collapsible panels with test pictures, there were only broken images or tests that did not show up.

-Many of the practice tests that did show up were out of order

-Others were upside down

- Some of the scanned images are difficult to read

- Add more information to some of the later pages

(see questionnaire, attached)

Refinements Made

1. I completely edited the practice test pages. Apparently, because all the test images were in different folders initially, many of them had the same name. When I uploaded the site, and all files were placed in the same folder, the duplicate-named images overwrote each other. As a result, only about five practice tests were actually uploaded.

To fix this, I renamed all of the images, then placed them all in the same folder to ensure that there was no duplication. I also have to fix the relative path in the dreamweaver program, so that the correct images were accessed. In addition, I rotated images so they were in the correct direction, and made sure the date on each tab-label coincided with the dates on the test.

2. I went through and fixed all of the broken links and other broken images, changing the relative paths so that the pages would actually interconnect.

3. I added much more information to the end, so that all of the meets had the necessary formulas.