Saturday, September 5, 2009

5 September 2009

Of the subjects we are being tested on at the first competition, occurring on the 26th of September, I have begun to compile research for the topics: Trigonometric Identities, Sets, and Geometric Angles in a Plane. These are the events that, of the six, require the most knowledge of vocabulary, formulas, and symbols. For Trigonometry, I used as a main resource the book "Pre-Calculus with Limits: A Graphing Approach, 4th Edition" by Larson, Hostetler, and Edwards, copyright 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Company. I entered several equations into a word document, such as the Double-Angle Formulas, the Half-Angle Formulas, and the like. I used a Sony Vaio Laptop, operating on Windows Vista and the 2007 version of Microsoft Word.
For sets, I used two reputable looking websites: www.mathworld.wolfram.com/ and www.purplemath.com/ Both contained the nessecary information, and agreed with what I had previously learned about sets.
And, for geometry, I actually just wrote up a quick guide on computer paper, using my previous knowledge to explain the basics of angles.